Yesterday I returned to work after 2 weeks off making memories with my family. (And was welcomed back with 874 emails. Seriously.) While it wasn’t an extensive, every-minute-planned trip, we were able to fit in many, many things. For the most part, we stayed in our area and took advantage of the attractions we have right in our back door here in the Chicago area. We were able to:
- Travel to St. Louis and visit the Zoo
- Spend quality time with grandparents, aunts & uncles, cousins (#1 & #2 were even able to spend several days with the out-of-state grandparents!)
- A Day of Rest – DH spent the day on the couch playing video games & watching movies. I went to a local library for some local genealogy research. Both were much anticipated! And took place while the girls were at the grandparents’ house out-of-state.
- DH & I took a day and went to downtown Chicago alone. Walked the Magnificent Mile, checked out The Bean, and just enjoyed the city.
- Visited the local Nature Center. The girls loved it! They have a turn-of-the-century farm, complete with house and you can watch the animals, sometimes watch them planting crops or doing “old-fashioned” housework chores.
- Visited the Shedd Aquarium. One of our favorites.
- Visited the Museum of Science & Industry. We have a membership. 🙂
- Visited the Bristol Renaissance Faire. While my costume no longer fit (goal for next year!), we dressed the girls up and got so many comments!
- And we did take one day to load up truckloads (3!) for the local thrift store. But just one day.
And we did have a couple of days at home with the girls. We played dress-up (seriously! You should the pictures of my husband with the fairy wings.) and tried out our new bike trailer.
With the trip to the grandparents’, and the 2 weekend road-trips, I was a bit worried about packing too much for the girls. I ended up packing 4 days worth of clothes for each, with the plan to wash them on the 3rd day (Parents, you know why I have that extra set!) – but just 2 days worth for DH & I. We fit everything in a large suitcase, plus a “kids’ suitcase” for the diapers (we left the kids’ suitcase with clothes and some diapers in a plastic bag while the kids were at the grandparents. Brought the suitcase home). For the drive to St.Louis, we did pack a cooler for snacks and food, as well as a backpack carrier for #2 while we were at the zoo. Overall, I felt we had packed just enough. Not too much, and not too little.
Have you made any memories this summer?